At Wistaston Church Lane Acdemy the safety of pupils and staff is our most important consideration. Our next consideration is that we should enable children to continue their learning at school. Therefore we always try to keep the school open and staff will always aim to be here as normal.
On occasion, and always as a last resort, the school may need to close. This may be as a result of some or all of the following situations:
- Staff are unable to get to school during the day due to adverse road conditions which will cause unsafe staff:pupil ratios.
- The heating systems in one of the buildings fails and cannot be repaired before 10.00a.m.
- The school site and surrounding approaches are deemed too hazardous by the Headteacher and Senior Leadership team
Please note that if a heating failure in the lower or upper school forces the closure of one part of the building, the children in the key stage/s that is not affected will continue with their normal school day. However, parents and carers will be given the opportunity of withdrawing their siblings from school if they have children in both the lower and upper school.
Some adjustments may be made to the organisation of the school day in order to keep children safe.
Procedures for closing school during adverse weather conditions:
Each day during adverse weather, the school website and Facebook and Twitter pages will be updated to give information – whether the school is open or closed.
The decision of whether to close will be made by the Principal or Senior Leadership Team and Site Management Team, in consultation with the Chair of Governors as early as possible or by 8am at the latest.
In cold weather, parents, carers, children and staff are reminded to follow the gritted pathways which are marked on the gritting plan which is displayed on the school fence and on the school website.
At the start of the school day:
- Parents will be informed of whether the school is closed by a text message.
- The Principal or Senior Leadership Team will contact the local radio station (Signal One) using the agreed process. Note that that announcements will only list schools that are closed – not schools that are open.
- The school website and Facebook and Twitter pages will be updated to give information – whether the school is open or closed.
- Parents are asked to note that it may not be possible for staff to answer the telephone and we would ask that you do not phone school but, instead check the described methods of communication. Listening to the local radio for details of any closure is the preferred method of communication for parents without mobile phones.
- The Headteacher or Senior Leadership team will contact Cheshire East Council, informing them of any closure and ensuring the closure is added to the county web site
During the school day
- Once a decision has been made to open the school it will only close during the day if the heating breaks down and children and staff’s health is put at risk due to low temperatures.
- If the weather becomes severe during the day then parents may contact the school if they feel that they would like to collect their child early for safety reasons (ie travelling/walking long distances or collecting other children from local schools). Parents will then be advised that children can be collected from 1.30pm onwards (i.e. after lunch).
- The school will remain open until the end of the school day 3.15pm (Infants) and 3.20pm (Juniors). If parents are delayed due to adverse weather conditions then they should contact the school if possible to give an anticipated arrival time
- Children will be supervised until a parent/carer is able to collect them
- Parents must consider their own safety, traffic congestion and the safety of others in these circumstances and understand that children at Wistaston Church Lane Academy will be cared for until it is possible for them to be collected.