Welcome to Year 4
Your teachers are Miss White (4W) and Mrs Culshaw (4C).
Your teaching assistants are Miss Barnett and Mrs Valente
Zootopia song link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpqV3dzYOgk
REMINDER: Please bring your musical instrument every Wednesday
Maya Day- Thursday 16th June 2022
As part of our current history topic, Year 4 are holding a Maya Day on Thursday 16th June 2022.
The day will consist of learning how to count and do maths in Maya, write and read Maya hieroglyphs, eat and taste ‘traditional’ food and play traditional Maya games.
We would love all the children to be involved in the day.
Maya citizens wore headdresses to show their place in society and we would like the children to make one as part of their preparation for the day. There are some examples of the styles of headdresses below to help with your designs. The headdresses of the Maya were very colourful.
Your child will need to wear their PE kit and their Maya headdress for our Maya Day.
We thank you for your support.
Please see the email about the day for some ideas on how to design your headdress.
Our PE days are Monday and Friday.
Our writing book this half term is: When the giant stirred by Celia Godkin
The focus for our main piece of assessed writing is to rewrite their own version of the book in the first person.
Reading: Ariki and the Island of wonders.
This is the book our guided reading is based on for this half term.
We will be focussing on:
- Predict what might happen from details stated and implied (2e)
- Clarify vocabulary Explore the meaning of words in context (2a)
- Read and retrieve Retrieve, record and present information (2b)
- Read and explain: Mastery focus Retrieve and record information from non-fiction (2b)
- Use dictionaries to check the meaning of words that they have read (2b)
- Ask questions to improve understanding (2b)
- Identify main ideas drawn from more than one paragraph and summarise (2c)
- Draw inferences (inferring characters’ feelings, thoughts and motives from their actions) and justify with evidence (2d)
- Identify themes and conventions in a wide range of books (2d)
- Identify how language, structure and presentation contribute to meaning (2f)
- Discuss words and phrases that capture the reader’s interest and imagination(2g)
In maths this half term we will be:
fractions- tenths, hundredths, equivalnet fractions, simplifying fractions
- x3, x4, x6, x7, x8, x9, x7, x11 and x12
Science: Changing states
Geography: Our Angry Earth
Art: Mosaics Pointillism art movement (develop from mosaic making)
PSHE: Self- esteem & Positive Thinking
Year 4 have PE on Monday and Friday.
On these days we ask that children come to school in their PE clothes rather than their school uniform.
Weather dependant they can wear their shorts and school coloured PE T- shirt and House PE sweatshirt. If the weather is cold, then track suit bottoms/leggings would be more suitable. Trainers are preferable to pumps as it is possible the children may be outdoors for lessons.
Long Term Plan
History Roman dates
Times Table Practice
Times Table Songs