Hello, we are Church Lane's Safety Squad.
We are a dedicated group of year 5's and 6's who care about you and the school.
So far we have set competitions, have done assemblies and have made posters to put around the school.
What is coming up?
We are looking at having our own lanyards so that we are easily recognisable when you want to speak to us. We are also looking to raise money for a new bench 'The Safety Seat', where you can come and talk to us if you are worried or have nobody to play with.
Today our local PCSO Sophie dropped by to discuss a police run safety officer scheme with Safety Squad. She showed use the resources and talked through the role. We decided we would like to give a go and are looking forward to having our training soon.
Bonfire and Firework Safety Advice
- Stay far away from bonfires and fireworks.
- Fireworks are not toys! Do not play with them!
- Don't go near fireworks that haven't gone off.
- Let adults get rid of used fireworks properly.
- Always have a bucket of water near by.
- Listen to adults' instructions and don't go past barriers.
- Remember to look after your pets. Keep them indoors and happy. Consider putting a radio on to distract them from the noise.
- Wear sensible clothing when holding sparklers, including a pair of gloves.
- Get rid of used sparklers in water or sand and don't pick them back up.
- Hold sparklers at arms' length and never in somebody else's direction.
- Tie long hair back when using sparklers.
- If using glow sticks, don't chew them.
- Check for small animals, such as hedgehogs, that may be hiding in your bonfire wood before you light it.
- Ensure your bonfire is in a large, open space.
- Have fun but keep safe!